It is no secret that alkaline water is beneficial to the body mostly because it works to lower the acid in the blood, boast metabolism and also make the absorption of nutrients in the body more efficient.
If you would like to gain all the above benefits you can simply include alkaline water in your diet and the good news is that you do not have to spend much money to make this water. You can make alkaline water in the comfort of your own home for as less than $1. Follow the steps below on how to make alkaline water at home:
Determining the pH of Water Before You Alkalize
Before you can start making your own alkaline water, you first of all need to get the pH of your water. Your water pH will then help you determine how much will need to be done to make the water alkaline. Normally pure water has a neutral pH though in most cases drinking water is slightly alkaline and can have a pH of about 8 or 9. Impurities in the water such as toxins and other chemicals can cause the water to become acidic.
How to make alkaline water with lemon
One of the easiest ways of turning plain water into alkaline water is by using lemon. The logic here is quite simple and is based on the anionic property of lemon. Lemon naturally alkalizes the body due to its anionic property. When lemon is mixed with drinking water the body alkalizes the water during digestion.
Making alkaline water using lemon is easy. Below are the steps to be followed.
- Fill a pitcher with about 2 liters of clean water. To get the best results ensure that the water is free of impurities. Filtered water works best, I use a Big Berkey Water Filter for this, if you don’t have a Berkey, then I’d recommend to use any of these great water filters here.
- Cut one lemon into about eight parts and put these parts in your water. It is important to note that you do not squeeze the lemons to extract the juice. You simply place them as they are in the pitcher.
- Let your water sit undisturbed at room temperature for about 8-12 hours.
Your water is now ready to drink. To improve the healing ability’s of the water you can mineralize it, to do this add about about a tablespoon of Himalayan or Celtic sea salt to your 2 liters of water, this step is optional.
How to make alkaline water with baking soda
You can also make use of baking soda when making alkaline water. The steps involved include;
- Add about 600 mg (approximately an eight of a teaspoon) to a glass of water.
- Stir to incorporate the baking soda with the water. You alkaline water is now ready to use.
It is important to note that baking soda is high in sodium. People who are on a low sodium diet should therefore keep off this water as it can be detrimental to their health.
Other Great Ways to Make Alkaline Water
Other ways of making alkaline water include;
Using a water ionizer
A water ionizer as the name suggests ionizes the water and in doing so separates acidic water and alkalized water
Using an ionizing water filter
This works just like the water ionizer and alkalizes water using alkalizing minerals put in the filter.
Using a reverse osmosis filter
This filter removes impurities in the water and in the process alkalizes it
These tips on how to make alkaline water are easy to follow and just require readily available components. Make use of them to ensure that you have a constant supply of alkalized water that your body needs to stay hydrated and healthy.